Thursday 19 March 2009

My Statement Of Intent For My Final Major Project

Final Major Project Proposal 




Jack Martin

The Surreal State


Section 1: Progress and Achievement

Since starting my foundation course I have dramatically improved my drawing and observation skills whilst working with photography. The foundation course has changed the way I think about modern and contemporary art. Before I started I never really appreciated modern art because I never used to try and study it. Now I try and work out the meaning of the work and what the artist was trying to tell us.


Section 2: Context

My favourite medium of photography would have to be using a black and white film with my Pentax 35mm SLR camera. The reason for this is because I really like the originality, and the almost like ‘stepping back in time’ effect that you produce when using black and white film. However, for this project I think I would like to explore medium format colour film. One substantial influence that has inspired me for this project is the amazing installation by Cornelia Parker called ‘Thirty Pieces Of Silver’. I really liked the layout of the installation and the way she hung the pieces of silver from the ceiling. I have also been looking at JG Ballard’s film called crash. However Bill Woodrow and Tony Cragg's installations have really inspired me for this project because I really like the way they make sculptures out of objects that they have taken out of their original habitats.

 

Section 3: Project Proposal Aims, Methods and Realisation:

One idea that I am working with is the dismantling of objects. For my final major project I would like to carry on the dismantling however taking it onto a much larger scale. I propose to photograph old broken cars at breakers yards using a medium format camera, with a colour film. I then propose to take old car parts, for example exhausts, engine parts and car doors, from the breakers yard that I am photographing, and display these car parts, primarily in a forest, but also in different sceneries, to test where they look best when they are taken away from their primary habitat. I will then video them as an installation. When photographing the breakers yard I propose to use a long exposure to link in with the long time lapse of the video. I will research and photograph old car parts and produce a series of photos, considering how the work will be displayed connecting the film with the photographs. To test my ideas I will need to video the car parts for a short while, to see if it works well, before producing the final length of film. 


Section 4: Evaluation

For my evaluation I am going to study the evolution of the concept, of this project, in my logbook and document every stage that changes or any ideas that may develop. I will share my ideas with my peers, during the research stage, and record the comments made in my logbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment